Monday, November 8, 2010
Crazy weekend!
This weekend my parents celebrated their 22nd anniversary by taking a trip to Santa Barbara to run a half marathon. They needed this trip, a nice relaxing vacation for just the two of them. I was determined to let them enjoy their weekend, and not have them worry about anything... that didn't last too long. I took lacee to a birthday party in my families old neighborhood Vintage Ranch. It was supposed to get over at 8, she was supposed to call me when it was over. Well I didn't get a call until about 8:30, and it was her friend Jessica telling me that lacee had fallen and that she had hurt her shoulder really bad. Kyle and I went and got her, and she was in so much pain she couldn't even move her shoulder. She was swollen and bruised all along her collar bone, Kyle took a look at it and could tell that it was most likely broken. I called my parents and told them I needed their health insurance information... my decision to not bother my parents all weekend... right out the window. We decided to take her to urgent care, it was 8:55 and they closed at 9:00. They said that they couldn't see her because I wasn't her mother. I had all of the insurance information, and they weren't willing to work with us. They even told us the only ER that would maybe see us was Phoenix Childrens Hospital. I was not happy with them, and I made sure they knew it. They were going to turn away this poor little girl, who was obviously in a lot of pain basically telling us there was practically nothing we could do and no one would see us. We took Lacee home, hoping that we could maybe make her comfortable and get her to sleep for the night and we could try another urgent care in the morning. We got home, put Halee and Tragdon to bed and we got in bed. At about 11:00 Lacee started screaming in pain and we realized there was no way she could last through the night, we were going to have to try the ER. We went to Gilbert Mercy, even though I swore I would NEVER go back to the hospital again. The service is horrible, the place is filthy and I spent the most horrible night of my life there. I am the ER expert having spent the night in the ER 4 times with kyle this year and then once with Lacee. So I know that the ER doesn't have to be a horrible experience, but at Gilbert Mercy it has to be a miserable experience. But we knew lacee needed something to be done, and we needed to know for sure what was wrong. We waiting an hour and half to see the doctor when it turns out there had been a miscommunication and they thought a doctor had already been in to see her. This poor little girl had to sit for an hour and half without any pain medication while she was in severe pain. Finally they gave her some pain medication and told us they were going to take some x-rays. By this point it is 1 in the morning. They took some x-rays and the technician let us look at them and there was no question about it, that was a very broken collar bone. We now had to wait for the doctor to look at them and come and tell us for sure that it was broken. We didn't leave until 2 in the morning. So now Lacee is in a sling until after Christmas. She has been such a good sport about it though. No more basketball for awhile, or guitar, or cello, or piano. She is going to be a lot less busy. It was a very eventful weekend for us! I'm glad my parents were still able to enjoy their weekend, but we are very glad to have them home!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Poor Lacee! I can't believe what a hard time you had getting her some help! But very glad that your story has a happy ending...that Lacee got the help she needed (finally) and your parents were able to still enjoy their weekend get away.
Post a Comment