This has been an exciting month! Abby started kindergarten and Juliet started Preschool. This month has been a whirlwind of emotions. Its been so hard, so rewarding, its been exhausting, its been exciting! I put Abby in full day kindergarten. I know that I had reasons for choosing this when I signed her up in the summer. With preschool, Jane still napping and Abby's constant need to be entertained I knew all day kindergarten was the way to go. Its been so strange having her gone all day. She is with other people more than me. She tells me a lot of what happened at school, but I'm not there with her to see everything that happens and that is hard for me. Its always been me and her. Attached at the hip! And now she is experiencing all these new things! Its awesome!
The first day of school was incredibly emotional for me. I think it was more what it all represented more so than the fact that I wouldn't have Abby at home that day. Our lives will never be the same. We have school aged children now. We live for breaks. I can't take all my kids to the library, splash pad, park, zoo. If we do those things, we do them without Abby. And thats hard for me. I like it when we are all together.
One thing that has been nice is that when we are together it is more special. And Abby is blossoming and that is very special to watch.
We had Abby's back to school night where we got to go meet her teacher. She is a very sweet lady, about mine and Kyle's ages which is so weird! I about started bawling 10 times while we were there. Seeing her little desk and watching her talk to her teacher for the first time. I adore my Abby and I was so nervous for school to start. I have been nervous for the struggles. Because I knew there would be struggles. She hasn't ever gone to school before. We never did a formal preschool. I haven't been the best at homeschooling so I was afraid she would be a little behind. She can be so shy, she can have HUGE meltdowns at the drop of a hat, she is so incredibly sensitive. My momma heart was so full of worries I couldn't hardly sleep for weeks. Dramatic I know, but this is my baby! How can I send her off unprepared. I felt like I had failed her. But school was coming and she was off.
She walked right up to her class that first day and didn't even look back. I bawled the rest of the day. But the first week went great! She loves her teacher! Then she got sick on Thursday and missed Thursday and Friday. She was so sad and asked to go back to school all through the weekend. Then the next week started and it was a nightmare. She would cry and scream and did not want to go to school. Her teacher called us to talk about how we can get her to participate in class better. She refused to listen or do what anyone else was doing. She was miserable. I was miserable. It was awful. I am so grateful that we sent her to ALA. They have been incredible. They have helped her stay at school. Her teacher has been in constant communication with us, updated us on how she is doing and helping us come up with a plan to help her succeed. Now at the end of August she is doing great. She is a little behind and her teacher has suggested putting her in some after school tutoring. This school is extra intense though. Had we sent her anywhere else I think she would be just fine. She has already learned so much! Its been amazing doing homework with her. She is such a smart girl she is going to be blowing everyone away in no time! She has been making friends and working hard. We still have a lot of work to do to help her keep her emotions under control. But I'm still working on that.... so its a work in progress for all of us. Its been hard for me as her mom. I just want to fix it. But I need to let her learn and grow and fight some of her own battles. My natural instinct is to protect and fix.
I'm very excited/anxious for the rest of the school year. Its going to be a learning and growing experience for all of us.
These pictures are from back to school night. She was in heaven. It was fantastic! Kyle and I took her out for ice cream after. It was awesome.
First day of school! Look at the beautiful girl. She was nervous, but she was so brave. I asked her recently what does it mean to be brave. She said "it means never give up". So true Abby! We are going to learn that this year.
This is from when I picked her up from school. She was so happy and excited! It was so fun to hear her talk all about it. One thing about all day kindergarten is that it doesn't wear her out. She is not tired after school. At all. I mean the kid hasn't napped regularly since she was a year and half old.
She will only wear skirts to school. It cracks me up.
And then finally after weeks of asking and talking about it, our sweet Juliet started preschool! She has been in heaven. She loves everything about it. When we picked her up after her first day we asked her how it went and she said "we did amazing things!" Her attitude is incredible. Our sweet Juliet is something so special. Always a smile, always a hug and kiss whenever you need it most. We are so blessed to have her. She loves her teacher, she loves her friends. The hardest thing is telling her that she doesn't have preschool on Monday, Wednesday and Friday. She cries and cries. She wants to go every day, all day. We could send her to all day kindergarten right now and she would be more than fine. Ha ha! She misses Abby like crazy. She asks me all day if we can go pick her up. Juliet has never played by herself. She has always had Abby! Jane takes really long naps and Juliet is sooooooo bored. I'm really trying to be creative about how to entertain her! I love her so much.
I can't believe I have a kid in elementary school! It all happened too fast. I'm not ready for everyone to grow up. Lets just stay little and at home with mommy forever!








1 comment:
I can't get over how similar Jacob and Abby sound! I have had so many of the same worries and concerns for Jacob! He had his first day today and he seemed to really like it - but we are going on vacation next week and I am so nervous we are going to have a meltdown when he goes back! Crossing our fingers for both of our kiddos!
Also, I cannot believe that is Juliet!!! She has gotten so big and everything you say about her reminds me of our little Sarah. She gives me a run for my money but definitely is the loviest, sweetest thing too!
Does that mean that our third will be as adorable and sweet as Jane seems to be? ;)
Post a Comment