On February 27th my great grandmother passed away. A couple days before she had been hospitalized because she was having problems with her heart. She had a heart valve that wasn't functioning properly. The doctors knew that there was nothing that they could do, so they sent her home so she could be more comfortable. We all knew that it was just a matter of time before she passed. So when I woke up to a text message less than a week later I wasn't surprised, but I was very sad.
I wasn't extremely close to my great grandmother. She could be kind of grumpy and wasn't always the biggest fan of young children. But she lived right next to my grandma and grandpa so she is in most of my childhood summer memories. It was so sad to see my great grandfather mourning his wife. He is the sweetest old man, and now he has to be without his sweetheart for a little while. So sad.
It was a crazy drive, its about 5 hours in summer weather from us to Roosevelt. With the snow and traffic it took us about 6 hours. Abby watched the same Mickey Mouse Clubhouse and Little Einstein episodes over and over and over again. But she was a really good girl. I was very pleasantly surprised. We had plenty of kit-kats and smarties so we were all happy. Jules was an angel, as usual. She would eat, lay happily in her carseat, and then fall asleep. She started getting fussy about a half hour away from my grandparent's house and Abby was done about 15 minutes before we got to my grandparent's house. So it wasn't too bad. At one point they were both asleep at the same time and Kyle and I felt like we were on a road trip as a newly wedded couple. Back when we looked forward to road trips and didn't dread them.
The girls were both pretty good while we were there. I think little Jules got a little overwhelmed by all of the people. Abby loved it, she loved the attention and all of the kids and the new toys and seeing her grandparents and aunts and uncle. They were great on the way back too. Even though it took us 7 hours because of the horrible traffic in the canyon. Colorado has horrible traffic. One of my least favorite things about living here. But we survived and made it home in time for some naps and for kyle to take his practical the next morning.
The funeral was beautiful and it was so fun to see all of my family. I learned things about my great grandmother that I didn't know before. She had about 7 different vacuums and she used each one for a specific purpose. Her house was always perfectly clean.
My grandfather bore his testimony during the funeral and it was absolutely amazing. I'm so grateful for families, and the love and support the give. My great grandmother leaves behind 4 children all active members of the church. Tons of grandkids and great grandkids just about all active in the church and 4 great great grandchildren. What a wonderful legacy to leave behind. I hope that my children will always cherish this gospel. It means so much to me, and it brings me so much joy and peace.
I love it. I want to always try and be better. I know I'm not perfect, and I never will be, but I want to be the best wife, mother and friend that I can be.
I am so grateful for the life I am living and for all of those people that are in it.

No comments:
Post a Comment